Monday, June 30, 2008

Easton's head met an easton bat....



...and Easton's head definately got the worst of it. We are in Utah on our way to Washington, and two days ago we went to a park to meet some friends, who were having a work party. They had a pinata and invited our boys to do it with them. Unfortunately, they only had an aluminum bat, made by the easton company, and when a girl broke open the pinata and the other kids ran in to get the candy, she swung one more time and hit Easton in the head. Easton started crying right away, and an EMT who was there started to check him out. When Easton couldn't move his left arm or leg, we got him to our van, gave him a blessing and got him to a hospital.

He had a thin fracture in his head and some bleeding inside of it
He was being so brave while they did a CT scan, started an IV, and even when they strapped him onto a backboard and
Loaded him onto the lifeflight helicopter. His parents were trying very hard to be as brave as Easton was.
He had a short flight on the helicopter to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City....
... and a very long night in the Intensive care unit with an uncomfortable neck brace. He threw up three times, but couldn't drink anything to get the taste out, since they thought he may have a neck injury. The Mickey doll the hospital gave him really helped to calm him down.


Once he got the neck brace off sunday morning, Easton started getting better much faster. Monday morning he stopped throwing up and began acting almost normal. He got to go out in a mini wheelchair to a fun play room and outside to see some fountains.



He even got to hang out with the US ski team, making buttons, getting their autographs and making them laugh. He was feeling so good, he remembered his brothers and made each of them a button too.


This is Easton trying to smile while still hooked up to all the equipment.


And this is Easton today right before we left, smiling for real.

We want to thank everyone for all your thoughts, calls and prayers. We feel very blessed for how this all turned out. The doctors and nurses were so good to Easton and our whole family.









18 comments:

Bright-Mom said...

Oh Amanda! You guys have been on my thought for the past few days...I mean really on my thoughts! Now I know why! I was so sad to hear about the whole crazy bat accident! Poor East! Kate and Clair were very concerned when they saw the x-ray! Bowen was excited about the Mickey! After we read the whole post and looked at all the pictures Kate asked..."Is Easton handicap now?" I reasured them that Easton is OK now! We are so glad about that! Hugs to my handsome Easton man!

skibumo1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
skibumo1 said...

hey easton this is erik and chris, the us ski team guys you met on monday. We are so glad to hear that you are doing well and hope you keep that smile on your face:) feel free to keep in touch with us at our websites:
www.erikfisherusa.com
www.christoipherbeckmann.us
stay strong buddy

Kristin B. said...

Never a dull moment with the Sainsburys. How frightening! Hope you are all feeling better!

Anne-Elizabeth said...

What an experience. How scary that must have been. I am so glad Easton is okay. Best wishes!
-Anne

Mauri said...

Oh my gosh!! You guys! How scary! We are SO glad it turned out as well as it did! Poor Easton! Thankfully you were all watched over and protected! We are glad this had a very happy ending!!!
Love, Rick and Mauri

John and Jada McFarlane said...

I can't believe that! We are so happy that everything worked out. We miss seeing you guys. I wish we were in Spokane now to see you all! Take care of yourselves!

Leslie said...

Poor Easton! (Poor Bob and Amanda!) I hope to be brave like you when it is our turn for something like this. We loved seeing you guys. Good luck on the rest of your trip.

Sharlene Enloe said...

That is so scary and sad. I'm glad he is doing better.

pomai♥stephen said...

oh, my sweet boyfriend! i can't believe it!
our prayers are with you!!

Rebecca Pierce said...

That is INSANE. I am so relieved to know that he's okay...like really okay. That must have been heart wrenching for you all. I can imagine.

I've spent a little time at Children's Hospital lately, and I have to say, it is sobering to know that there are so many children who are like ours but really, really sick. I bet you saw some of that too. It makes me so grateful for healthy kids!

Vanessa said...

Amanda, I have to mention this to you. We've only met once and I see you occasionlly at church. I'm in the ward before yours, the Allatoona. However, we must have quite a few friends in common because I see your blog quite often as I browse blogs. Your family blog seems to pop up all over the place. In fact, the most recent was on Tom and Vera's website--they kept the kids for you one evening? I guess y'all are a sweet & popular family! =)

Sorry, to read about your son! How scarey that must have been and I know very hard to keep brave for him as well as the other children. You have a beautiful family! I can't believe how out numbered you are! I think you deserve mommy of the year award! =)

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

Oh, poor Easton. Primary Children's is great though. I hope he is feeling better.

David & Audrey said...

Easton little buddy, I hope you are doing ok. We miss you guys!

Emily Christensen said...

Oh my goodness. That is so scarry. I hope everything is going well for Easton. I'm sorry that I am such a retarded friend. I know that you commented on my blog like forever ago and I didn't respond back. I don't look at them much. I barely ever even update my own. I'll try to be better. Your kids are so cute. I can't believe that you have 5.

Rebecca Pierce said...

I'm so sad I didn't see you while you were here, but I totally understand how it is when you are in town to see family! I'm a pretty low-maintenence friend. I think you posted on my blog to call you and I was on vacation, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway, I hope you had a nice time! Hopefully it will work out next time!

Anonymous said...

Your family looks like such a close one! I come from a family of 3 boys, then me, so my mom has a slight idea (not quite the same as 5, but a slight idea) of how life is with all the boys!

Trudy Jones said...

You have a wonder family.
Great Job !!!!

Trudy